Categorized | Calgary, News

300 people evacuated from arena due to ammonia leak

300 people evacuated from arena due to ammonia leak

The Calgary Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team was called out to the Tri-wood Arena at 2244 Chicoutimi Dr N.W. for an ammonia leak on Saturday evening.

When firefighters arrived they discovered that nearly 300 people had been evacuated from the arena by staff.  There was a smell of ammonia reported to arena staff which triggered the evacuation.  There is an ammonia detection system inside the facility, but it had not gone into alarm.

Firefighters equipped with self contained breathing apparatus entered the building with gas monitors to check for the noxious gas.  The firefighters detected a trace amount of the gas.  They then ventilated the area which allowed a technician to inspect the facility’s ammonia plant where a minor leak was discovered and repaired.

People were allowed to safely return to the event which was being held inside the arena after a short time and the amount of gas released did not pose a risk to anyone.

 

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay

Related posts:

  1. 70 people evacuated in downtown high rise apartment fire The Calgary Fire Department was called out to a high...
  2. HOMELESS EVACUATED FROM MUSTARD SEED AFTER CARBON MONOXIDE SCARE The people staying at the Mustard Seed Shelter were up...
  3. Southwest condo evacuated after carbon monoxide scare Fifteen people were evacuated from a condo in the southwest...
  4. 250 people evacuated from downtown building after diesel spill on rooftop The Calgary Fire Department evacuated 250 from a commercial building...
  5. Residents of southeast fourplex evacuated because of kitchen fire Residents of an apartment building in the 1800 block of...

Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.

Leave a Reply